Skip to content

Cost & Financial Aid

How much does it cost to study abroad? The short answer is, it depends. Because the cost of living can be much lower in other countries than it is in southern California, cost of living when you study abroad is sometimes less expensive than attending CSUSB. At the same time, there are unique expenses (like airfare) that can quickly add up. Each student's circumstances and financial needs are unique. We recommend that you make an advising appointment with the Education Abroad Office to review the total cost associated with the program(s) you are interested in, so that you can begin your financial planning.

When considering how you will finance your study abroad program, you might find it useful to use a Study Abroad Budget Calculator. Be sure to consider costs like:

  • Program fees
  • Roundtrip airfare 
  • Passport, visa, entry taxes
  • In-country transportation
  • Meals 
  • Accommodations 
  • Excursions and other entertainment
  • International calling / phone and internet
  • Personal expenses (laundry, ATM fees, etc.)
  • Books and educational supplies
  • Tuition and campus fees

Financial Aid

In most circumstances, as long as you are studying abroad through a CSUSB-administered program, your financial aid package travels with you, with the exception of work study. Additionally, there are many scholarships, grants, and other forms of financial support that are only available to students who are studying abroad. If you plan to use financial aid (for example, Pell Grant, Cal Grant, loans and scholarships) to cover costs associated with your education abroad program, we recommend that you make an appointment with Nicolette Cosino, the education abroad specialist in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Walk-in advising is also available Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:30 - 4:00 p.m. in in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (UH-150). 

If you did not accept your full financial aid offer for the academic year, you may be able to work with the Financial Aid Office to disburse unused loans. You can use that money to pay for your summer study abroad program (including fees that are often due as many as six months before the program start date). Note that this process must be initiated at least two weeks before the end of the Spring semester. 

Pell-eligible students who have not exceeded their lifetime eligibility may also qualify for a summer Pell grant (typically, 50% of the academic year award for fulltime summer enrollment and 25% of the academic year award for parttime summer enrollment). The State University Grant (SUG) can also be used to pay summer tuition and fees. To qualify for summer financial aid, you must be enrolled in at least 6 units across Session A and Session B. 

President's Study Abroad Award

For more than ten years, President Tomás D. Morales has supported the Presidential Study Abroad Award, which provides you with $500 to offset the costs associated with studying abroad. These funds are typically applied to tuition and campus fees. To qualify for the scholarship requires a minimum 2.0 GPA and enrollment in a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate program at CSUSB at the time of your participation in a CSUSB-administered study abroad program.

For information on other scholarship opportunities, see the Scholarships page.