Skip to content

Explore Programs

Education Abroad

At CSUSB, you may choose to study abroad or away for a summer, semester or full year, participating in a credit-bearing program (faculty-led or exchange), or a non-credit experience such as volunteering, interning, or service-learning. You can practically go anywhere, any time!

Credit-Bearing Programs Abroad

For credit, you can study abroad in these 4 types of programs:
  1. Faculty-Led Programs: You study abroad with a group of CSUSB students, led by faculty, for 1-4 weeks. Most of these programs depart in January, May, June, or July. As a student, you would enroll in one or more CSUSB classes, and do not need to transfer your credits. Some of these programs are considered service-learning. Search for faculty-led programs here.
  2. Student Exchange Programs: As an exchange student, you would study full-time at one of our partner universities, and in return one of their students studies at CSUSB. You study abroad on your own or with a friend for a summer term, winter term, semester, or year. You would enroll full-time abroad, then transfer your credits to CSUSB. Search for student exchange programs here.
  3. California State University International Programs (CSUIP): As a CSUIP student, you would study full-time (typically, 5 classes per semester) at one of CSU's partner universities. You study abroad with other CSU students for one year (two semesters). You would enroll full-time abroad, then transfer your credits to CSUSB. Search for CSUIP programs here.
  4. Third-Party Provider Programs: If none of the three programs above fit your study needs, you can go abroad for as short as a week or as long as a year with an external educational organization (i.e., "third-party provider"). These providers offer classes and locations that CSUSB and CSUIP do not offer. You would enroll abroad, then transfer your credits to CSUSB. We will list our provider information soon.

Non-Credit Programs Abroad

Not all programs abroad are offered for credit. You can also intern, volunteer, or serve abroad on these 3 types of programs:
  1. Cultural Immersion and Non-Credit Service-Learning: You go abroad on a short-term program with a group of CSUSB students, led by faculty or staff, for 1-4 weeks. You do not take classes but experience and reflect on different aspects of your host country. This may also be considered a service-learning program (e.g., the programs offered with the Office of Community Engagement and Student Recreation and Wellness Center).
  2. Internship Programs: You intern abroad by yourself or with a friend for as short as a week or as long as a year with a third-party provider. As an intern, you pay for housing (and sometimes food). Classes are often optional and cost extra. Some third-party internship providers include CAPA, The Intern Group, and Intern Abroad HQ.
  3. Volunteer Programs: You can volunteer abroad by yourself or with a friend for 1-4 weeks (or longer!). As a volunteer, you will pay for housing and food, but you will not receive academic credit. You can search for programs in Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Peru offered by our third-party provider partner, Maximo Nivel.
  4. Working or Teaching Abroad: There are many opportunities to teach or work abroad. For more information, please email Sonja Lind at

Study Away in the U.S.

Finally, not all programs require international travel. Here are a few third-party provider programs you can study, volunteer, or intern in within the U.S.: And more! Note that if you have travel restrictions, you may consult an immigration lawyer to review these programs.

Searching for Programs

You can browse programs in detail on this website. Please select "Search Programs" on the top left menu. To apply for a particular program, be sure to select "Apply Now" on the program's page.

Contact Us

For any questions about these programs, please email the Education Abroad office at