Your Passport and Visa
Passports for U.S. CitizensYou must have a passport to participate in any education abroad program. U.S. passport applications are available online at travel.state.gov. Passport applications require an original or certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate and a $145 fee for new passports (passport renewals cost $110), as of January 2021 (prices subject to change). Passport photos are available at many local drug stores' photo department. Visit www.usps.com/passport/ for a list of all post offices processing passport applications. Allow at least 4-6 weeks for routine service and 2-3 weeks for expedited service (for an additional $60; prices subject to change).
Passports for Non-U.S. CitizensIf you are not a U.S. citizen, you will still need a passport and visa to travel. Here is a list of local consulates and embassies:
- Mexico (San Bernardino): https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sanbernardino
- Guatemala (LA): www.conslosangeles.minex.gob.gt/Home/Home.aspx
- Philippines (LA): www.philippineconsulatela.org
- Canada (LA): www.international.gc.ca/country-pays/us-eu/los_angeles.aspx
- Others: https://embassy-finder.com/
Visas and Other Entry RequirementsEach country has different entry requirements and procedures. Generally, you will need to:
- determine if there is a need for a visa given the program activities, location(s) and duration;
- identify the consulate or embassy which has jurisdiction over visa issuance;
- obtain up-to-date visa instructions from the consulate or embassy; and
- submit the visa application, passport, and other supporting documents according to those instructions provided.
Further ReadingInformation about entry requirements (i.e., visas, immunizations, additional fees, etc.) can be found at www.cdc.gov/travel/ (traveler health) and https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/ (traveler advisories). For additional information, visit the traveler's checklist on the U.S. Department of State website.
Finally, review our info session, "How to Get a Passport and Visa 101."