Skip to content

Your Passport and Visa

Travel Documents

Passports for U.S. Citizens

You must have a passport to participate in any education abroad program. U.S. passport applications are available online at Passport applications require an original or certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate and a $145 fee for new passports (passport renewals cost $110), as of January 2021 (prices subject to change). Passport photos are available at many local drug stores' photo department. Visit for a list of all post offices processing passport applications. Allow at least 4-6 weeks for routine service and 2-3 weeks for expedited service (for an additional $60; prices subject to change).

Passports for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will still need a passport and visa to travel. Here is a list of local consulates and embassies:

Visas and Other Entry Requirements

Each country has different entry requirements and procedures. Generally, you will need to:
  • determine if there is a need for a visa given the program activities, location(s) and duration;
  • identify the consulate or embassy which has jurisdiction over visa issuance;
  • obtain up-to-date visa instructions from the consulate or embassy; and
  • submit the visa application, passport, and other supporting documents according to those instructions provided.
Please allow several weeks or months to apply for your visa. Costs vary from $0 to $500. In addition, students often cannot work on their visas; work visas are typically separate from tourist and student visas.

Further Reading

Information about entry requirements (i.e., visas, immunizations, additional fees, etc.) can be found at (traveler health) and (traveler advisories). For additional information, visit the traveler's checklist on the U.S. Department of State website.

Finally, review our info session, "How to Get a Passport and Visa 101."

Contact Us

For any questions about passports, visas, or other travel documents, please email the Education Abroad office at You can also make an advising appointment here.